National Association for Secondary School Principals (NASSP)
In existence since 1916, the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) is the preeminent organization of and national voice for middle level and high school principals, assistant principals and aspiring school leaders from across the United States and more than 45 countries around the world. The mission of NASSP is to promote excellence in school leadership.
NASSP promotes excellence in middle level and high school leadership through research-based professional development, resources and advocacy so that every student can be prepared for post-secondary learning opportunities and be workforce ready.
NASSP provides members with the professional research-based and peer-tested resources and practical tools and materials they need to serve as visionary school leaders. Through award-winning publications, professional development opportunities, ready access to relevant research and persistence in advocating on behalf of school leaders, NASSP helps advance middle level and high school education by:
- Promoting high professional standards
- Focusing attention on school leaders’ challenges
- Providing a “national voice” for school leaders
- Building public confidence in education
- Strengthening the role of the principal as instructional leader
- Publicizing the issues and interests of members in the news media
NASSP also promotes the intellectual growth, academic achievement, character and leadership development and physical well-being of youth. NASSP is proud to have founded and to administer the following student leadership programs:
- National Honor Society and National Junior Honor Society®
- National Association of Student Councils
- National Elementary Honor Society®